- The American Prospect has an article, “Did the Founding Fathers Screw Up?” explaining what makes American democracy so dysfunctional.
- I hate mosquitoes with a passion, mostly because they eat me alive. So you can imagine my pleasure to read that we have learned how to poison them, which is really great news for Africa.
- There are a lot of questions around Obamacare and Republicans are pledging to repeal it. It’s an old article, but Harper’s offers some interesting insight about the deep flaws with the Affordable Care Act. I’m not saying it should be repealed, but this story paints paints a disheartening portrait of our political system. This is why anyone who is in/follows politics is a cynic.
- The Washington Post reminds us that the race for the Republican nomination is really just beginning. You can’t count anyone out yet.
Rick Perry – The Latest
- He’s now in hot-water for events he hosted at a hunting camp called “Niggerhead”. It was an old sign from his native (racist) homeland of West Texas.
- Like other candidates he shows unconditional support for Israel.
- Perry’s not very pro-science. He doesn’t believe in global warming or evolution.
Making Out Like Bandits – Follow Up
- Polls show most Americans support the Buffett rule.
- Buffet isn’t completely behind the Buffett rule though.
- The Economist gives us a breakdown of effective tax rates in different countries. The U.S. is very low.
Lost Generation – Follow Up
- Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke talks about the crisis of long-term unemployment
- Fareed Zakaria discusses the jobless recovery.